Friday 8 August 2008

The Globe Theatre for “Timon of Athens,” Hard Rock London, and Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese 7-31-08




I went to see an afternoon production of “Timon of Athens” at the Globe with a Children’s Lit student. I am glad that I went, and I am definitely glad that I paid a bit extra to sit, instead of standing in the pit, particularly since there was a light rain on and off during the play. I can now say that I have been to see a play in Shakespeare’s Globe. I can now also say that I can see why “Timon of Athens” is not one of Shakespeare’s more well-known plays, due to the fact that it does not have a finite end. I also bought a few goodies in the gift shop.

The website for the Globe is: http://www.shakespeares-globe.org/

We also took the underground to the Green Park station, where we then walked to Hard Rock Café. I normally would not be so inclined to visit such a touristy spot, but since this Hard Rock Café was the original, it seemed like it would be worth getting a t-shirt from. We then finished the evening by going to Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese Pub, where Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, and Theodore Roosevelt all visited. The pub does not look very big on the outside because it is hidden in a small alley off of Fleet Street, but after walking in and going down several sets of stairs I realized that the pub is basically several floors up and several floors below ground as well. I ate dinner and had a couple of pints of an excellent cider they had on tap.

Here is a website with more information on Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese Pub: http://www.pubs.com/pub_details.cfm?ID=216

No comments: