Friday 8 August 2008

Holyrood Park, The Museum of Childhood, and the Underground Tour 7-23-08




This morning we took a bus out to Edinburgh, then walked down the Royal Mile to the Holyrood Palace and made our way across to the Holyrood Park. I was with 3 other library students, as we climbed up the mountainside towards Arthur’s Seat. It was a bit of a climb, and unfortunately I did not make it all the way to the top, but I did make it ¾ of the way up, and stopped at a cliff-side to admire the view. As I was taking the view of Edinburgh and the Strait beyond that, I thought that it would be a great time to call my mom, who was just waking up, as it was 6 am in Mississippi. It was a beautiful view and I just wanted to share the moment with someone I loved.

The other three library students returned after their descent from the top, and we made our way back down and then back up the Royal Mile to the Museum of Childhood. Although some were not as impressed by the displays, I found the number of items in their collection impressive, and the condition of the toys, for the most part, was pretty good. I was sad that some of their interactive games were not functioning, as were a few other children that I saw visiting the museum. There was a display of children’s novels, and one of the books included was “Alice in Wonderland”. There were some unusual toys, including one doll based on the book “Struwwelpeter”, which looked like it might have been the inspiration for Tim Burton’s “Edward Scissorhands”.

For more about the Museum of Childhood, along with other museums in Edinburgh, go to: http://www.cac.org.uk/

That evening I met with another library student and we went on a tour of Edinburgh’s underground city. It was pretty cheesy, and touristy, but we did get to hear some good “ghost” stories and did get to view and walk through a small portion of the underground.

No comments: